UK home prices rise for first time since 2010

Date:

Tuesday 3rd April 2012

UK home prices increased in March

Residential property prices in the UK increased in March for the first time in 21 months, partly because first-time buyers rushed to beat the end of the stamp duty holiday, according to Hometrack.

Data published by the property analytics firm show that the average price of a home in the UK appreciated by 0.2% in March compared to the previous month, marking the first month-on-month rise in property values since June 2010.

London recorded the greatest property price increase, up 0.5% month-on-month, as four of 10 regions tracked by Hometrack showed increases.

Home prices in three regions showed no change from February and three showed declines, led by 0.2% drop in the north east and the north west. The number of new buyers registering with estate agents rose 4.4% on the month, adding to an 18% gain in February that was the biggest in five years.

The price rise partly reflects a hike in demand from first-time purchases to secure a new home priced at under £250,000 before the two-year stamp-duty exemption on 24 March.

Richard Donnell, director of research at Hometrack, said in the statement. "We expect prices to track sideways in the short term with the outlook for the second half of the year hinging on households' expectations for the economy and their incomes."

The stamp duty holiday for first time buyers has effectively been replaced by the NewBuy Scheme, which offers homebuyers up to 95% mortgages on new homes priced up to £500,000, with the remaining 5% being underwritten by the housebuilder and Government.

NewBuy, which wsa launched last month, is available through various housebuilders, including Barratt Homes, Taylor Wimpey, Persimmon Homes, Bellway Homes, Bovis Homes, Redrow Homes, Linden Homes and Crest Nicholson.

 

New Homes in New Homes

Part-Exchange Available
Langleys Quay
Langleys Quay, Halesworth, Suffolk, IP19 8JR
NOW AVAILABLE from £234,995
Langley's Quay is an attractive development of 2, 3 & 4 bedroom homes located in the Suffolk market town of Halesworth. Langley's Quay is ideally...
Part-Exchange Available
St Michaels Place
St Michaels Place, Aylsham, Norfolk, NR11 6YA
NOW AVAILABLE from £299,995
St. Michael's Place is situated on the outskirts of the thriving historic market town of Aylsham, nestled in the heart of the Norfolk countryside,...
Part-Exchange Available
Mulberry Gardens
Mulberry Gardens, Mulbarton, Norfolk, NR14 8GG
NOW AVAILABLE from £324,995
Over the years, Mulbarton has grown around its common and its charming parish church. Today's residents benefit from primary and middle schools, a...
Part-Exchange Available
Fairfield Park
Fairfield, Costessey, Norfolk, NR5 0UH
NOW AVAILABLE from £144,995
Fairfield Park is only a few minutes from all that the centre of Norwich has to boast a fantastic mix of theatres including the Maddermarket Theatre...